Primary School PE Funding: 2016-17
At Capel we value the vital contribution that Physical Education makes to the health and well-being of our children. We believe that a varied and innovative curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities can have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and achievement in all areas of a young persons life.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary schools to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE. Each school will receive £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil – at Capel that will mean around £9,015 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, guidance suggest that it shoudl be spent in one of two ways:
- develop or add to the PE and sport activities that your school already offers
- make improvements now that will benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
Ways we utilise this fund at Capel Primary School:
- We have recognised that the expertise from local secondary schools can support our Primary trained teachers in delivering excellent PE lessons. As a result Mr Ibbs is peer teaching with our staff. This means that he and our teachers rotate on a teach and observe cycle. This ensure our teacher recieve regualar guidance and opportunities to gain feedback on their teaching. Most recent observations have shown that teaching of PE is at least Good in every year. Through this support we are able to use the funding in a sustainable manner.
- We have also ensured that more of chidren have opportunities to be engaged in school sports. Mr Ibbs has worked with school leaders to facilitate this. In the last academic year we were able to achieve the Silver School Games Mark as recognisation of our continuted contribution to the West Kent School Sports Partnership.
How do we intend to use the funding in the future:
- We expect to continue to use the peer teaching model to develop the quality of PE teaching at Capel Primary School. We will be focusing on differeniation strategies to ensure our most able pupils are challenged in their PE lessons.